Check out these popular articles from Experimental Hematology.Previously posted on December 9, 2015 in the ISEH Facebook Group.
I was speaking with senior editor Keith Humphries the other day and we were chatting about an interesting pattern in papers published in Experimental Hematology – the citations of articles published a long time ago are often as high as the bigger journals, but the uptake is quite delayed (e.g., many citations come many years after publication). The cream rises to the top it seems and Experimental Hematology papers often stand the test of time.
I thought “what a shame - how can we get these papers into the hands of people earlier?” So I asked Keith if he could identify the top papers to come out of Experimental Hematology over the last couple of years – you’ll see that the big names do publish in the journal and the quality of the papers is very high (Roger Patient, Peggy Goodell, Brian Huntly, Toshio Suda, Kenneth Anderson, Trista North, Patricia Ernst, Chi Van Dang, JP Levesque, Emery Bresnick just to name a few)
So – my challenge to the experimental hematology community, specifically members of ISEH – start reading and sharing your favorite articles. Early exposure is key to the success of the journal since it competes with the dedicated PR teams of the big journals.
My challenge to the senior brass is a little more difficult: When you sit on hiring boards, grant panels, and fellowship committees – please read the papers of the candidates… don’t just look at journal title. Students and postdocs will only send their papers to a society journal if senior people respect the fact that they’ve done so. We all have to believe in the success and quality of our society’s journal.
Enough blathering…. Here’s Keith’s “Editor’s Choice” of the most impactful reviews and research articles of 2014/15 based on downloads – high quality stuff! Enjoy and remember where you read it.
Top reviews from world experts on…
- Developmental Hematopoiesis (Ciau-Uitz A… and Patient R)
- Genome-wide DNA methylation (Jeong M… and Goodell MA)
- HSC heterogeneity (Ema H… and Suda T)
- Expression profiling in Leukemia (Shivarov V and Bullinger L)
- Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (Skoda RC… and Grisouard J)
- Multiple Myeloma (Mimura… and Anderson KC)
- BET inhibitors (Basheer F…. and Huntly B)
- Cord blood expansion (Pineault N and Abu-Khader A)
Top original research articles
- Inhibition of glutaminase selectively suppresses the growth of primary acute myeloid leukemia cells with IDH mutations. Emadi A, Jun SA, Tsukamoto T, Fathi AT, Minden MD, Dang CV.
- Induction of autophagy is a key component of all-trans-retinoic acid induced differentiation in leukemia cells and a potential target for pharmacologic modulation. Orfali N, O'Donovan TR, Nyhan MJ, Britschgi A, Tschan MP, Cahill MR, Mongan NP, Gudas LJ, McKenna SL.
- Potentially therapeutic levels of anti- sickling globin gene expression following lentivirus mediated gene transfer in sickle cell disease bone marrow CD34+ cells. Urbinati F, Hargrove PW, Geiger S, Romero Z, Wherley J, Kaufman ML, Hollis RP, Chambers CB, Persons DA, Kohn DB, Wilber A.
- Index sorting resolves heterogeneous murine hematopoietic stem cell populations. Schulte R, Wilson NK, Prick JC, Cossetti C, Maj MK, Gottgens B, Kent DG.
- Low-level GATA2 overexpression promotes myeloid progenitor self-renewal and blocks lymphoid differentiation in mice. Nandakumar SK, Johnson K, Throm SL, Pestina TI, Neale G, Persons DA.
ISEH Publications Committee
Group Leader - Normal and malignant blood stem cells
Cambridge Stem Cell Institute
University of Cambridge